You'll need all of the following:
a Diploma or an Advanced Diploma in Nursing Studies (any nursing discipline)
to be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) or international equivalent
to be working in a relevant Nursing arena e.g. community, Acute sectors, public or private health and social care settings.
English language qualification
You'll also normally require one of the following English language qualifications:
GCE O level English Language C
GCSE English C
If English is not your first language you will need one of the following English language qualifications.
TOEFL: 600 (paper based), 250 (computer based) or 100 (internet based)
Pearson Test of Academic English: 66
Cambridge Advanced Certificate: Pass
London Tests of English: we accept level 4 for undergraduate courses
International GCE O Level English Language: Grade C
International GCSE English/English as a Second Language: Grade C
We may accept other equivalent English Language qualifications with supporting evidence so please provide full details with your application.
Pre Diploma/International qualifications
You may still be eligible for the BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies Top-Up if you have a pre-Diploma qualification (e.g. ENB/RGN/RMN) or if your international qualification (diploma or degree) in Nursing does not equate to UK Higher Education Level 5. This is subject to meeting the following requirements:
- You are still in current nursing practice.
- You are actively registered with the NMC or equivalent professional body.
If the above applies there is an access route at level 5 (Diploma level) which requires you to successfully complete the Certificate of Credit in Health and Social Care Studies in order to gain entry to the BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies Top-Up.
Documents to support your application
You'll need to provide:
- Photo ID – this could be your passport or driving licence
- NMC PIN
- Written reference supplied on headed paper from either a manager, supervisor, tutor or teacher
- Copies of certificates and transcripts or a letter of testimony for previous qualifications*
*Documents not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a certified translation by a professional translator/translation company. Each translation must contain:
- Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
- The date of the translation
- The full name and signature of the translator, or an authorised official of the company
- The translator’s contact details
A list of approved translators can be found on the UK Gov website
You can find out how much time you need for study here.