You'll need all of the following:

  • a Diploma or an Advanced Diploma in Nursing Studies (any nursing discipline)

  • to be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) or international equivalent

  • to be working in a relevant Nursing arena e.g. community, Acute sectors, public or private health and social care settings.

English language qualification

You'll also normally require one of the following English language qualifications:

  • GCE O level English Language C

  • GCSE English C

If English is not your first language you will need one of the following English language qualifications.

  • IELTS 7.0

  • TOEFL: 600 (paper based), 250 (computer based) or 100 (internet based)

  • Pearson Test of Academic English: 66

  • Cambridge Advanced Certificate: Pass

  • London Tests of English: we accept level 4 for undergraduate courses

  • International GCE O Level English Language: Grade C

  • International GCSE English/English as a Second Language: Grade C

We may accept other equivalent English Language qualifications with supporting evidence so please provide full details with your application.

Pre Diploma/International qualifications

You may still be eligible for the BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies Top-Up if you have a pre-Diploma qualification (e.g. ENB/RGN/RMN) or if your international qualification (diploma or degree) in Nursing does not equate to UK Higher Education Level 5. This is subject to meeting the following requirements:

  • You are still in current nursing practice.
  • You are actively registered with the NMC or equivalent professional body.

If the above applies there is an access route at level 5 (Diploma level) which requires you to successfully complete the Certificate of Credit in Health and Social Care Studies in order to gain entry to the BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies Top-Up.

Documents to support your application

You'll need to provide:

  • Photo ID – this could be your passport or driving licence
  • Written reference supplied on headed paper from either a manager, supervisor, tutor or teacher
  • Copies of certificates and transcripts or a letter of testimony for previous qualifications*

*Documents not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a certified translation by a professional translator/translation company. Each translation must contain:

  • Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • The date of the translation
  • The full name and signature of the translator, or an authorised official of the company
  • The translator’s contact details

A list of approved translators can be found on the UK Gov website

Study time

You can find out how much time you need for study here.