When qualifying as a registered Nurse I worked with the elderly and then within acute medicine at a large local hospital.
In 1999 I transferred out in to the community and went on to undertake my BSc (Hons) Specialist Practice (DN) in 2003. After becoming a district nurse I completed my PGCert and became a Practice Teacher linking in with the University. In 2011 I became a Senior Lecturer for Pre-Registration Nursing teaching Public Health and undertaking my Master of Public Health.
Now I am moving in to Post Graduate Education as the Programme Leader for the Master of Public Health.
Your Thoughts About Online Learning
I love the fact that online learning gives students a chance to access information and courses at a time which suits the demands of our busy lives.
- Registered General Nurse
- BSc(hons) Specialist Practice-District Nursing
- Post Graduate Certificate in Interprofessional Learning, mentoring and Assessing
- Master of Public Health
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority
- Brown, J; Collins, G (2017) Exploring the use of student-led simulated practice learning in pre-registration nursing programmes. Nursing Standard. Sep 20;32(4):50-58
- Brown, J; Collins, G (2015) Embedding simulated practice: in a pre-registration nursing curriculum. Primary Health Care. May 25:4 30-33
- Collins, G; Brown, J; Henshaw, L; Whitehead, B ;( 2015) Using reflection on reading for revalidation. Nursing Times111:23/24,14-16
- Brown, J; Collins, G (2015) Embedding simulated practice: health of the community experience. Primary Health Care. July 25:6 26-30
- Collins, G; Brown, J (2015) ‘Innovative learning from simulated patient complaints.’ NET 2015 Annual Conference, Cambridge, September 2015.(Prize for best presented poster)
- Collins, G. Brown, J. (2014), ‘The commissioning cauldron: Innovative simulation for community health improvement’, NET 2014 Annual Conference, Cambridge, September 2014.
- Collins, G. Brown, J. (2014), ‘Enhancing Patient Through Simulated Complaints’, Society in Europe for Simulation Applied to Medicine, Poznan Poland, June 2014.
- Gratton.O. Collins, G. Brown, J. (2014). ‘The Benefits & Dilemmas of Student Led Simulation Pilot Led Program’, 8th Annual UK Simulation in Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Conference, Chester, June 2014.
- Collins, G. Brown, J, Newton, J, Pearson, J. Seddon, C. (2013). ‘Community Togetherness: a students’ simulated experience of community health improvement’, poster presentation, College of Medicine Annual Conference, London, June 2013.
- Collins, G. Brown, J. (2012). ‘Service User Stories: Use of Vodcasts as a trigger for simulated practice’, theme paper, Association of Simulated Practice in Healthcare Annual Conference, Oxford, November 2013.
- Collins, G. Brown, J. (2012). ‘Engaging with Service User Stories’, poster presentation, NET 2012 Annual Conference, Cambridge, September 2012. (Poster Prize Commendation).
Family are really important to me so I spend most of my spare time with family and friends. I love to ski and Austria and America are my favourite destinations.
- Public Health topics
- Master of Public Health Dissertation in relation to public health advice provided in relation to obesity by student nurses-factors affecting this
- Simulated practice