I hold BSc (2006), MSc (2007) Mathematics from UBB Cluj (Romania), PhD in Applied Mathematics in 2011 (EST Marie Curie Fellow, Nottingham) and PhD in Pure Mathematics in 2015 (UBB Cluj).
I joined the University of Derby (UoD) in 2012 as a Lecturer in Mathematics when I became a member of IMA and Fellow of the HEA.
In 2015, I became Senior Lecturer in Mathematics and Erasmus Departmental Coordinator for Mathematics and Computing.
Since 2016 I involved students in URSS, Erasmus and research.
My teaching is informed by research in areas including number theory, optimization, computational, discrete and industrial mathematics, and also mathematical education, with a focus on maths anxiety.
I am member of the International Society for Difference Equations (2017-), American Mathematical Society (2014-), Romanian Mathematical Society (2013-) and the Marie Curie Alumni Network (2011-).
I have reviewed 17 articles for Mathematical Reviews, 3 books for Springer, Journal of Number Theory or Journal of Integer Sequences.
I am an active member of the newly established Research Centre in Data Science at the University of Derby.
Your Thoughts About Online Learning
Online learning inspires me to design interactive learning materials, which engage and guide students to develop their skills in a flexible manner.
- PhD Mathematics, Babeş-Bolyai University, Romania (2015)
Project: Stochastic receptor-ligand binding under force
- PhD, Applied Mathematics, EST Marie Curie Fellow,
University of Nottingham, UK (2011)
Project: On the geometry and applications of complex recurrent sequences
- MSc Mathematics (Distinction) (Real and Complex Analysis – 10/10), Babeş-Bolyai University, Romania (2007)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, University of Derby (2013)
- BSc Hons Mathematics (1st, Valedictorian, grade 9.97/10), Babeş-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania (2006)
- Qualified Teacher Status (2006) (Private tutor - Mathematics (KS3, KS4, KS5)
- BA Pastoral Theology (Orthodox) (4 year avg: 9.59/10, Graduation Exam: 9.81/10), UAB Alba Iulia, Romania (2016)
- ISDE - International Society of Difference Equations (2017-)
- AMS - American Mathematical Society - Member (2014-)
- Fellow of HEA - Higher Education Academy (2013-)
- SSMR - Romanian Mathematical Society (2013-)
- IMA - Institute of Mathematics and its Applications - Member (2012-)
- INFORMS (2018-)
- O. Bagdasar, S. Berry, S. O’Neill, N. Popovici, R. Ramachandran: Traffic Assignment: Methods and Simulations for an Alternative Formulation of the Fixed Demand Problem, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (2018) [IF: 1.476] (accepted, 2018)
- I-L. Popa, T. Ceausu, O. Bagdasar, Ravi P. Agarwal, Characterizations of generalized exponential trichotomies for linear discrete-time systems (Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii Ovidius Constanta) (2018) [IF: 0.452] – (accepted, to appear 2018)
- D. Andrica, O. Bagdasar, Some remarks on 3-partitions of multisets” - Electronic Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier, 8pp (accepted, to appear 2018)
- O. Bagdasar, A. G. Bagdasaryan, ” On an arithmetic triangle of numbers arising from inverses of analytic functions” - Electronic Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier, 8pp (accepted, to appear 2018)
- D. Andrica, O. Bagdasar, On some results concerning the polygonal polynomials, Carpathian J of Math 12pp (accepted) [IF: 0.788]
- D. Andrica, O. Bagdasar, On cyclotomic polynomial coefficients, Malaysian Journal of Mathematics 12pp (accepted)
- A. Pratap, R. Raja, C. Sowmiya, O. Bagdasar, J. Cao, G. Rajchakit, Robust generalized Mittag-Leffler synchronization of fractional order neural networks with discontinuous activation and impulses, Neural Networks (2018) [Impact Factor: 7.197]
- A. Pratap, R. Raja, C. Sowmiya, O. Bagdasar, J. Cao, G. Rajchakit, Global projective lag synchronization of fractional order memristor based BAM neural networks with mixed time varying delays, Asian Journal of Control (2018) [Impact Factor: 1.528]
- O. Bagdasar, N. Popovici: Unifying local-global type properties in vector optimization, Journal of Global Optimization (2018) [IF: 1.728]
- O. Bagdasar, E. Hedderrwick, I.-L. Popa, ”On ratios and geometric bounds of Horadam sequences” Electron Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier, 8pp (2018)
- O. Bagdasar, A. G. Bagdasaryan, ”On generalized arithmetic triangles” - Electronic Notes in Discrete Math, Elsevier (2018), 8pp.
- O. Bagdasar, N. Popovici, Extremal properties of generalized convex vector functions, J Nonlinear Convex Anal,18 (2017)[IF: 0.642]
- O. Bagdasar, P.J. Larcombe, On the masked periodicity of Horadam sequences: A generator-based approach, Fibonacci Quart. (2017)
- I-L. Popa, T. Ceausu, O. Bagdasar, Characterizations of generalized exponential trichotomies for linear discrete-time systems, ENDM (2016)
- O. Bagdasar, I-L. Popa, On the periodicity of certain non-homogeneous complex linear recurrences, Electron. Notes Discrete Math 6pp (2016)
- O. Bagdasar, P.J. Larcombe, A. Anjum, Geometric Patterns of Periodic Complex Horadam Sequences and Applications, CJM 8pp (2016)
- O. Bagdasar, N. Popovici, ‘Local maximum points of explicitly quasiconvex functions’, Optim Lett, Vol 8, 9pp (2015) [IF: 1.013]
- O. Bagdasar, P. J. Larcombe, ‘On the characterization of periodic Horadam sequences’, J Differ Equ App, pp 22 (2014) [IF: 0.625]
- O. Bagdasar, ‘On some functions involving the lcm and gcd of integer tuples’, Appl. Math. Inform and Mech., Vol 6 (2014).
- O. Bagdasar, P. J. Larcombe, On the number of complex Horadam sequences with a fixed period (Fib Quart., 2013)
- O. Bagdasar, P.J. Larcombe, Particular orbits of periodic Horadam sequences, Octogon Math. Mag, 21 (1) (2013).
Conference Papers and Book Chapters
- V. Lowndes, O. Bagdasar, S. Berry: Chapter 6 "Case Studies: Using Heuristics" in Guide to Computational Modelling for Decision Processes: Theory, Algorithms, Techniques and Applications (Springer, 2017)
- O. Bagdasar, N. Popovici, S. Berry: Sect. 7.3 "Transportation management: methods and algorithms" in Guide to Computational Modelling for Decision Processes: Theory, Algorithms, Techniques and Applications (Springer, 2017)
- O. Bagdasar, A. Birlutiu, M. Chen and I-L Popa, Qualitative Case Study Methodology: Automatic Design and Correction of Ceramic Colors, 21stICSTCC, Romania (2017)
- D. Andrica, O. Bagdasar, New results and conjectures on 2-partitions of multisets, 7th ICSMAO (UAE) (2017)
- G. Illsley, O. Bagdasar, Understanding the fear of mathematics: Recipes for students and teachers, 8th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", December 16th, Romania (2017).
- M. Stubley, O. Bagdasar, On the role of Open Questions in the Mathematical Education, 7th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", December 16th, Romania (2016).
- M. Bencze, O. Bagdasar, Noncongruent convex polygons which have equal perimeters, 5th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", November 23rd, Romania (2014).
- M. Trovatti, O. Bagdasar, ‘Influence Discovery in Semantic Networks: An Initial Approach’, Proceeding of 16th UKSim, 5pp (2014).
- O. Bagdasar, M. Chen, ‘A Horadam-based Pseudo-random number generator’, Proceeding of 16th UKSim, 5pp (2014).
My research interests include number theory, optimization, computational, discrete and industrial mathematics, but also mathematical education, with a focus on maths anxiety.
In 2018, I had articles accepted in Neural Networks, Journal of Global Optimization, Carpathian J Math, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation and Asian Journal of Control. I have authored work with 40 collaborators from UK, India, Romania, Spain, China and Kuwait.
Some of my UG students have also produced original research, disseminated through International Symposiums, Mathematical Magazines, or journal papers. Some highlights are:
- Two of my students added new integer sequences to the OEIS Encyclopedia: (Ralph Tatt: https://oeis.org/A303748 and Craig White: https://oeis.org/A303427).
- Four of my students have been awarded URSS bursaries to undertake research stages in Romania (Eve H. - Recurrent sequences 2016, Manzal and Chandni M. - Ceramics modelling 2018) and Kenya (Navraj G - Sustainable agriculture 2018)
- Eve Hedderwick co-authored a journal paper in ENDM (Elsevier, 2018)
Music, Reading, Theology, Sports